The summer of 2010 saw the release of Apple iMac 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 21.5” and its slightly faster and wider screened sibling, the iMac 27”. With a price difference hovering in the $500 range, the Apple iMac 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 proved to be a reliable performer against its more muscular counterpart.
The Apple iMac 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 carries on the iMac all in one desktop system tradition, the processing components nested behind the monitor screen. The display is a generous 21.5 viewable (LED-backlit glossy widescreen TFT active-matrix display; 1920 by 1080 pixels; millions of colors; IPS technology. Processing power comes from a 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor. Memory installed weighs in at 4GB on (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM. The hard drive is a 1TB Serial ATA1; 7200 rpm and the iMac 3.2 GHZ i3 features a slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW). The iMac 21.5” comes out of the box with the following features:
- • Built in iSight camera
- • Mini Displayport output with support for DVI, dual link DVI and VGA video (adapters sold separately.
- • ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB of GDDR3 memory graphics
- • One seven watt Firewire 800 port
- • Four USB 2.0 ports
- • An SDXC card slot
- • Built in stereo speakers,
- • two internal 17 watt high efficiency amplifiers
- • Built in microphone
- • Optical digital audio output/headphone out
- • Optical digital audio input/audio line in
- • Built in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet.
- • Apple wireless keyboard
- • Magic Mouse
- • Built in IR receiver
- • Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking2 ; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
- • Dimensions: Height: 17.75 x Width: 20.8 inches x Depth: 7.42 inches
- • Weight: 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) 3
In addition to the computer, keyboard and mouse, accessories in the box include power cord, install/restore DVDs, cleaning cloth as well as printed and electronic documentation.
Apple OSX Snow Leopard touted by Apple as the world’s most advanced operating system is factory installed (includes iTunes, Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools, and more), iLife,(including iphoto, iMovie and Garageband).
As with Apple’s entire iMac product line the iMac 3.2 GHZ 21.5” is environmentally friendly; meets ENERGY STAR 5.0 and EPEAT Gold requirements, is free of many harmful toxins, and is made from highly recyclable materials.
The iMac 3.2 GHZ 21.5” comes with Apples gold standard warranty, including 90 days of telephone support and a standard one year limited warranty which is expandable to three years under the Apple Care Protection plan at additional cost.
- • Standard RAM as shipped: 4GB
- • Maximum Memory Allowed: 16GB
- • Number of slots: 4 each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600 with a maximum of 4GB per slot-(Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory).
- • Memory Required: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)